Acts 8:29 – 35 — Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.” So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him. The place in the Scripture which he read was this: “HE WAS LED AS A SHEEP TO THE SLAUGHTER; AND AS A LAMB BEFORE ITS SHEARER IS SILENT, SO HE OPENED NOT HIS MOUTH. IN HIS HUMILIATION HIS JUSTICE WAS TAKEN AWAY, AND WHO WILL DECLARE HIS GENERATION? FOR HIS LIFE IS TAKEN FROM THE EARTH.” So the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him.
Revelations of spiritual guidance that will open up the scriptures and help you to make disciples.
1. It is by the Spirit. We need the spirit of wisdom and understanding to show us Christ in every scripture. Isaiah 11:2
Isa 11:3 His delight is in the fear of the LORD, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears;
2. We need to orbit closer to others to share spiritual understanding – “Go near and overtake this chariot!” This takes boldness on the part of the one guiding someone, as well as meekness on the part of the recipient. James 1:21
James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
3. Ask the right question: “Do you understand what you are reading?” We are living in the age of information so you can get a thousand sermons from different voices on a subject. Which one is right? With all your getting, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7
Pro 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.
4. We all need a guide. Yes the Holy Spirit is our ultimate guide. But who introduced you to the Holy Spirit? Paul the apostle speaks about remembering what you have learnt and from whom you have learnt it. He also encourages his disciples to do the things that they learnt, received, heard and saw him do. Imitate me as I imitate Christ.
Joh_16:13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Php 4:9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
1Co 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
5. Tip for Bible guides: begin where they’re at! Philip began at the scripture where the Ethiopian Eunuch was stuck and started preaching Jesus to him from there. Our mentors who guided us in the Scriptures: Dr Gray, Dr Wladvogel; my grandfather, father and mother, can all show you Jesus in every scripture. This is how we teach the Bible at Miracle Bible College. We work through the Life of Christ and that sets the tone for the rest of the Bible.
Acts 26:22 Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come—
Acts 26:23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.”
6. Use your resources. We have easy to use Courses that will guide your studies through eh 66 books of the Bible. What are you waiting for? Once you have received understanding, orbit closer to others and make disciples and encourage them to do the same. This is how the Word grows and multiplies – it worked for the early church and works today. Jesus is the same, yesterday, today and forever.
Photo by Slon Dot Pics