By Apostle André Pelser.
God is a Spirit and has to be worshipped in spirit and truth. He showed us what He is like by sending Jesus in the form of a man. Jesus left the splendor of heaven to take on an earthly form so that He could understand us and also give His life as a ransom for all our sins. The life of Jesus illustrates the form of God to us. Godliness is Godlikeness. We grow in Godliness as Christ is formed within us.
Apostle Peter tells us how to add virtue to our faith, knowledge, self-control and endurance and then godliness will form within us that produces brotherly kindness and love. (II Peter 1:5-7)
The world wants to see what God is like. God forms Christ within us. We are predestined to be conformed to His image. (Romans 8:29)
Here are some insights to obtain the form of God, or godliness.
The word ‘form’ in Philippians 2:5-11 is ‘morpho’ that means inward essence. The other word used for ‘form’ is ‘schemer’ or outward form. We speak of a tennis player that is in top form (‘morpho’). He gives an outward expression of His inward ability to play tennis. Jesus was in top form and then gave it up to come to earth. It is like saying, Roger Federer wants to come and play tennis with you in your back yard!
- Jesus exchanged the form (‘morpho’) of God for the form (‘schemer’) of a servant. He had to empty Himself of all privileges as God in order to become a man, for the benefit of others. (Matthew 20:28)
- Jesus did not think it robbery to be equal with God. Robbery refers to unlawful seizing or stealing a treasure. He had every right to deity, splendor, glory and adoration of angels.
- Jesus chose to be born in a lowly stable. He made Himself of no reputation to become a servant to us all.
- Jesus became obedient unto death – He humbled Himself by becoming obedient unto death.
- Jesus was highly honored by His Father who gave Him a Name that is above every other name. At His Name every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that He is Lord.
- Jesus is the ULTIMATE MAN glorified at the right hand of God the Father in heaven.
We have Christ within, although people only see the tip of the iceberg that God is producing or forming within us. Our real lives are hidden with God in Christ Jesus. We have a divine spark within us that is only released when needed or when the situation demands it. When we have to pray for the sick or prophesy or operate with the gift of faith the divine spark bursts into flame.
We exchange our sinful form for His divine form when we accept and believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. His Holy Spirit teaches us how to empty ourselves and be filled with God. He guides us to humble ourselves by becoming obedient to the Word of God until God is glorified through us.